The River Witham Sword was dredged from the River Witham near the town of Lincoln during work carried out in 1788. The sword may be a remnant of the Battle of Lincoln in 1141; however, it was most likely constructed between 1250-1300 CE. The inscription on both sides of the blade reads +NDXOXCHMDRCHDXORVI+. The blade is crafted from 1566 high carbon steel which is both tempered and sharpened. The guard and pommel are stainless steel and the grip is wood which is bound in leather. The sword is matched with a wooden scabbard which is bound in leather and completed with stainless steel fittings and steel hanging rings.