Royal Armouries Sword IX.2638. A single-edged arming sword of the mid-15th century, reputedly to come from the site of the Battle of Castillion, near the River Garrone (France) in 1453 and purchased by the Royal Armouries in 1984. A group of over 80 swords is said to have been recovered from the same spot.
The sword has a single-edged blade, of wedge cross-section, having a false edge on the back of the blade near the tip. The blade is remarkably wide and thin, with a very acute edge geometry leading to a fine edge. The crossguard quillons end in curled tips to retain an opponent’s blade, the asymmetrical grip is located towards the back edge, and the squat scent stopper pommel makes the short grip comfortable to hold. This sword feels very nimble, and it is deceptively light compared to its width, due to the thinness of the blade and distal taper.
This replica is crafted with a hand-forged blade by an experienced, skilled blacksmith using modern 1080 high-carbon steel that is fully tempered and is distally tapered for proper weight distribution. The sheath is made with a wood body and covered with leather. The tip is reinforced with a brass chape that features ornate cut-outs and an acorn tip. At the throat, the leather extends upward and covers part of the guard at the ricasso. Includes a certificate of authenticity on heavy stock, a tin of Windlass Classic Wax, and a polishing cloth. Made by Windlass Steelcrafts, the original can be seen in the Royal Armories Collection, Object Number IX.2638.
There are no reviews yet.