This set of splinted and brigandine composite leg armor is designed and built for hard contact HMB medieval sport fighting. The armor for each leg consists of three separate parts and when all are worn together they offer comprehensive protection for the legs.
The armor is a combination brigandine and splinted construction coupled with plate poleyns for the knees. On the exterior of the armor strips of splinted plate lames are solidly riveted into place. On the reverse are brigandine plate lames which are riveted on the inside of the armor and these alternate their position with the splinted plates on the outside. These plates are all made from 0.8 – 1 mm thick tempered spring steel which provides excellent protection without adding great weight. The backing and frame for these armor pieces is made from sturdy canvas with an exterior of thick and durable black wool.
A set of strong steel buckles with matched adjustable straps of thick leather don these pieces to the arm and adjust their fit. To anchor the upper leg armor into position there is a belt loop for the thigh armor which allows for it to be attached to or laced to an arming belt for support. The knee poleyns provide solid protection and are crafted from 18-19 gauge tempered spring steel. They are donned and adjusted with a steel buckle and a sturdy leather strap.
- Upper Leg Armor – Overall Length: 17 1/4
- Internal Circumference Adjusts to Fit: 18.5″ – 26.5″ (widest part)
- Weight: 3 lbs 2.5 oz (Individual Armor Piece
- Lower Leg Armor – Overall Length: 14 3/8″
- Internal Circumference Adjusts to Fit: 17″ – 20″ (widest part)
- Weight: 2 lbs 7 oz (Individual Armor Piece)
- Poleyns – Widely adjustable – one size fits most
- Weight: 1 lb 2 oz