This Roman Mainz Gladius has a blade forged from EN45 high carbon steel; the hilt is carved wood paired with a contoured grip of bone. The tang is secured with a brass pommel nut and a brass guard plate is inlaid onto the top of the guard. A felt tab is fitted to the base of the blade to protect the hilt from contact with the scabbard – it can be removed if desired.
The companion scabbard has a core of wood and it is bound in stitched dark brown leather and extensive brass fittings and brass hanging rings which are based on period finds.
Zebulon (verified owner) –
Firstly, this was my FIRST PURCHASE of any sort of sword from any sort of website, and thus I cannot compare to other products or other sites with as much credit as other reviews may have more experience than I do, consider this when reading this review.
– Overall blade length for my Gladius was around 30 1/2″ and blade length 21 1/2″
– Weight is not 1 lb, and was around 2.8-3 lbs
Everything else seems to check out
– Very good price for the blade you’re getting, especially compared to others although I’m sure you can get others, but I’m not entirely sure about the quality. I paid $157.95 but added $30 sharpening, consider also $13.65 shipping $15.81 tax and I paid $207.41 total.
– Not entirely sure about the steel, but I believe EN9 is similar to 1055, which is regarded as a relatively good steel if you intend on using it, due to it’s carbon content.
– One thing I particularly enjoyed was it’s relatively quick shipment, I ordered on 3/9/22 and received on 3/12/22.
– The Sheathe seemed well constructed, very minor blemishes and marks, and the designs were as expected. Although I cannot say there were absolutely no blemishes on the brass (?) decoration, as I did notice some.
– When attempting to fully sheathe, there is a small space that is crooked and not fully flush to the handle but not a big deal.
– The Guard had little shake, but I cannot say it has absolutely none, although it works how it should.
All in all, for the price this blade considering quality was good, and I’d rate it 4 stars.
It has a affordable price for quality, relatively decent construction, and I’m pleased with it.
I hope to make more reviews in the future,