Prior to the Civil War Messrs. Sharp & Hamilton operated a farming implement company under the trade name of Nashville Plow Works. With the war looming, the owners converted their establishment into an armory. The Nashville Plow Works continued operations until April 1, 1862, when the city was taken by Federal troops.
The Nashville Plow Works Cavalry Saber features a tempered 1065 high carbon steel blade. The cast brass guard features ”CSA” and ”Nashville Plow Works” in block letters on the underside of the guard. The pommel and back strap are made from a single piece of brass. The grip is wrapped in black leather and twisted brass wire. Includes a blackened steel scabbard with brass mounts.